vendredi 23 février 2007

شاي بالنعناع

Is that my rag-tag Italian alley cat dragged in from the streets?
Yes, Cecco finally made it home after his long Mardi Gras weekend. But Cecco, baby, I don't think the Madonna is going to help you now!


Luckily, I know something else that might: Mint tea!

One of the first times I was in Paris my girlfriend Janae and I wandered over to La Grande mosquée de Paris where the sun peeks through the trees of the blue and white tiled courtyard and sparrows flutter up to take bits of baklava from your fingers. It was the first time I tried that magical North African brew, mint tea. Janae promises it works wonders for digestion (and hangovers too, Cecco!), but I drink it just because it tastes so good.

Here's a recipe so you can try it for yourself:

Mint tea*

10 fresh mint sprigs, plus 4 for garnish
3 teaspoons green tea

3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for serving
4 cups water
2 tablespoons pine nuts

Bring water to a bare boil. Pour a small amount in teapot with the green tea and swish around to warm the pot and "clean" the tea leaves. Pour this water out, retaining the tea leaves. Combine the mint and green tea and sugar in the teapot, then fill it with the rest of the hot water. Let tea brew, stirring the leaves once or twice, for 3 minutes. Pour tea through a tea strainer into glass teacups to serve. Garnish with pine nuts and remaining 4 sprigs of mint, passing more sugar for guests to sweeten the tea to their tastes.

Aucun commentaire: