vendredi 11 septembre 2009

Fried chicken salad?

I think I may have gone a little overboard when I described Gus's Fried Chicken to my friend Nico. (Most amazing chicken in the world? Would it even be possible to defend that?) But no one had taken him! He's visiting from France and has been here for months, and not a single one of his friends has thought to take him to Gus's??? So, I took him today.

I know I've written about Gus's before, but it makes me happy to be able to say it's just as good as the the first time. The chicken was delicious, spicy, moist, etc. The beans and slaw were still standard.


I'd never tried the fried green tomatoes -- they were nice, but not amazing. They turned a little mushy inside their thick batter coat and were *very* greasy. Mostly what I tasted was the grease and mild vegetable-sweetness. I'll never understand why people don't just cut the tomato slices thicker.

One thing that changed for the better: the service was outstanding. Nico wanted mayonnaise with his fries but the first server I caught told us they didn't have any. But our waitress volunteered to look for some anyway. When she found it she brought it out in this little bowl and Nico was so happy! It was really sweet of her.